Re: Pingus Readme

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: Pingus Readme
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:18:16 +0100

> It's a good idea to have a central readme for users, but yours seems to
> include too much.
>
> > AUTHORS
> > COPYING
> > INSTALL.unix

For the Windows install in particular, having these files is a bit pointless
as they don't have an appropriate extension, so can't be viewed easily. I
can see the point of keeping INSTALL.unix separate, as the console concern
is valid. I however doubt that anyone will read the license on Unix, as by
now everyone must know what the GPL v2 says, as a good portion of their OS
is probably already licensed that way. As for Windows users, I doubt they
will care what the license is, as they can just point their friends at the
web page to download it. As for authors, including it in the Windows version
without an extension is bad news, but its name is clear enough if
appropriately renamed and line feed converted before inclusion.

> > The files I have marked for inclusion in a developers readme are:
> > INSTALL.unix
> > INSTALL.Win32
> > MAINTAINING
> > README.Win32
>
> I guess those could be put together into one readme for developers, I
don't
> think that joe average wants to read them anyway.

Text format or HTML? HTML is easier to navigate around with big sections,
but text is also good enough and more flexible in terms of viewing/editing.

Neil