Re: Pingus Readme

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Pingus Readme
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:08:16 +0000

Am Mi, den 07.04.2004 schrieb Neil Mitchell um 18:53:
> Having read www.gnu.org, it appears that you can't remove the preamble and
> post bit (as I did), because thats a copyright violation (it appears that
> the GPL is released under quite strict copyright laws - kind of ironic...).

The GPL is all about copyright. You don't give away copyright by putting
something under GPL, you just offer a grant to use the data as long as
the conditions of the GPL are met. If someone doesn't agree to GPL,
standard copyright law applies and he's got no rights at all to the
data.

> It doesn't say anything about not shoving the license into another file
> though, it just says usually on Unix that the file is called COPYING - but
> no demanding about it. As far as I understand copyright law, thats ok, but
> also IANAL.

Well, I don't see any reason not keep it in a COPYING file. If windows
users are confused, they may learn something new from it. :-)
I can put a copy named license.txt in the windows build.

> (not hard, but not exactly obvious). Because of this it will be necessary to
> convert the file first for the Windows build.

Won't be much of a problem, the tools to do this are fairly standard in
a Linux environment. I'll just have to remember doing it before I
package the release.