plex86-devel

Re: [Plex86-devel] Idea for running multiple OSs

From: Derek Broughton
Subject: Re: [Plex86-devel] Idea for running multiple OSs
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:58:47 -0400

From: "Cam" <address@hidden>

> Anyway here's the idea. Many machines can be suspended through the BIOS,
> either to RAM or to disk. The linux BIOS project is a replacement BIOS
> which could be modified at will. I wonder if it is possible to suspend
> the state of the machine and resume to another state. Rather than
> running concurrently, you would switch slowly between one OS and
> another. But no reboots, and you get full hardware access...
>
> What do you think? Is it possible?

I think it's possible using swsusp on Linux _only_ if you do NOT share any
partitions between your OSs.  One of the 'states' that is remembered is the
state of your file system.  My linux system still mounts (writeable) a FAT32
partition.  If I suspended and restored into Windows, I'd end up corrupting that
partition on the next restart of Linux.