plex86-devel

Re: [Plex86-devel] Idea for running multiple OSs

From: Bob Diepenbrock
Subject: Re: [Plex86-devel] Idea for running multiple OSs
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:29:37 -0600

Sorry bout the duplicate...

I agree, this topic is not really for Plex86-devel, so I'll limit my posts to
just this one.

I don't think that it will be possible to do a "BIOS" level suspend without
support built into each OS being suspended.  I can see where device drivers
might not behaive well and issues where the OS won't like having time just slip
away while it's suspended. All this defeats the point of doing this at the BIOS
level because it would require OS and driver support.

Also, because the BIOS is really the "glue" that matches the various hardware
designs to the OS, a Bios based suspend function would most likely be hardware
specific and only work on a small number of motherboard vendors offerings.

Now, if you wanted to "suspend" a Plex86 or BOCS virtual machine, you might get
this to work, but it hardly seems worth the effort.  I'd rather see a utility
where you could simply "dump" the process context to a loadable file and bypass
some of the startup overhead.  Don't think that the few seconds you could save
are worth the effort.  My 300 MHZ P2  can get Plex86 past the boot stage in a
very short time.

-= Bob =-

>>> Drew Northup N1XIM <address@hidden> 02/26/03 14:57 PM >>>
I do not wish to stifle random innovative thoughts, however I have dealt
with a mailing list getting "hijacked" before and have a low tolerance
for what I see as off topic discussions taking place on a developers
list.  If there is some real way in which these ideas are useful to this
community--then by all means keep up the discussion.  Otherwise, and I
really don't mean to be rude, please continue elsewhere.