pspp-dev

Re: libintl dependency

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: libintl dependency
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:41:29 -0800

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 09:17:31PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>      I'm thinking that we should drop the included libintl from PSPP.
>      Other GNU software, as I understand it, no longer includes
>      libintl, instead expecting that if its functionality is desired,
>      the user will have already installed it.  Dropping it might
>      address this problem.
>
> I thought that the included libintl was a GNU standard requirement.
> It's certainly something that is tested by make distcheck.  Maybe it
> was a standard which has now been relaxed? That being the case, I have
> no problem with making libintl a dependency.

I don't think that it could be a GNU standards requirement.
First, I can't find any evidence of such a requirement in
standards.info or maintain.info.  Second, more important GNU
programs than PSPP, such as coreutils, don't bundle gettext.

I hadn't noticed that distcheck did anything special here.
Perhaps it only does it if gettext is bundled.

I'll prepare a patch for review.
--
Ben Pfaff
address@hidden