pspp-dev

Re: status report

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: status report
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 21:39:47 -0800

> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:49:55PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>      I might work on the GUI end of the
>      problem first, by improving PSPPIRE's support for output before
>      working on the output-generation end of things.
>
> What do you think needs to be done to improve support for output.

I think I'll start by implementing an "output viewer" window.  My
first thought is that it should have two panes: on the left, a
tree view with one row per procedure or other command, with each
table or other output item nested as rows within its command; on
the right, the full output so far rendered (with a new
GTK+-specific output renderer) into a scrolling pane.  Clicking
on a row in the left pane scrolls the right pane to that output
item; right-clicking on an item in the right pane gives various
options, e.g. "Export", "Copy" for an individual output item.
The window would also have a menu that allows the entire output
to be saved, exported to another format (HTML, PostScript, plain
text to start), cleared, etc.

I think that we can do most of this without rewriting the output
backends.  Eventually I want to do that, but I think it's more
important to have something more GUI-friendly working before
then.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org