pspp-dev

Re: status report

From: Michel Boaventura
Subject: Re: status report
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 14:32:37 -0300

> I think I'll start by implementing an "output viewer" window.  My
> first thought is that it should have two panes: on the left, a
> tree view with one row per procedure or other command, with each
> table or other output item nested as rows within its command; on
> the right, the full output so far rendered (with a new
> GTK+-specific output renderer) into a scrolling pane.  Clicking
> on a row in the left pane scrolls the right pane to that output
> item; right-clicking on an item in the right pane gives various
> options, e.g. "Export", "Copy" for an individual output item.
> The window would also have a menu that allows the entire output
> to be saved, exported to another format (HTML, PostScript, plain
> text to start), cleared, etc.

On SPSS, if a user copy the output, and paste it on word or openoffice
writer, it will get it formated just like on spss.
But if the user paste it on notepad, or vim, the user gets only the text output.
It happens because when you copy the output, SPSS gives to you an RTF
text, who can mantain formatation or not,
depending where it is pasted.

It will be great if PSPP could do something like that, because a lot
of SPSS users just copy the output table, and paste it
on word without any changes. I've found and description of rtf file on
"http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/RTF-Spec-1.0.txt"; and
it seems not to hard do implement.

I would like to try to implement it, but I need some tips of how to do
that. But first of all, do you think it will be useful on PSPP?