pspp-dev

Re: status report

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: status report
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 10:08:39 -0800

Michel Boaventura <address@hidden> writes:

> On SPSS, if a user copy the output, and paste it on word or openoffice
> writer, it will get it formated just like on spss.
> But if the user paste it on notepad, or vim, the user gets only the text
> output.
> It happens because when you copy the output, SPSS gives to you an RTF
> text, who can mantain formatation or not,
> depending where it is pasted.
>
> It will be great if PSPP could do something like that, because a lot
> of SPSS users just copy the output table, and paste it
> on word without any changes. I've found and description of rtf file on
> "http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/RTF-Spec-1.0.txt"; and
> it seems not to hard do implement.
>
> I would like to try to implement it, but I need some tips of how to do
> that. But first of all, do you think it will be useful on PSPP?

PSPP already supports text formatting for its output.  I think
that we should be able to make sure that cutting-and-pasting into
program such as Notepad works with that format properly.  I don't
see an advantage in making text output go through an intermediate
RTF step.

It would be nice to make PSPP support output in OpenDocument
format (ODF), for high-quality pasting into OpenOffice, etc.  Do
you have any interest in working on that?  (There is already a
bug filed with this as a feature request.)
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org