pspp-dev

Re: Translation of documents

From: Bastián Díaz
Subject: Re: Translation of documents
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 18:34:51 -0700 (PDT)

As far I have not got answers about how to translate official GNU web pages, I
have written to Antonio Diaz, ocrad project manager, and has given me a tip on
how to perform the translation.

+++++

I'm no expert on this translations. What I do is this:

   1) I copy the website: cp ocrad.html ocrad_es.html
   2) edit ocrad_es.html changing the English text by Spanish
   3) I add the following code to ocrad.html and ocrad_es.html:
[ <a href="ocrad.html">English</a>
   4) cvs add ocrad_es.html
   5) cvs commit

I have several pages translated using the system I mention above.

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/ed/ed.html
http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lzip.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/moe/moe.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/ocrad/ocrad.html

However, I've noticed that I do not use the proper name according
https://www.gnu.org/server/fsf-html-style-sheet.html#NamingTranslations, so I
recommend you use the system I describe those specifications.

Best regards.

+++++
When you have time available, and then update the PSPP website, it would be
interesting to test this system to maintain translations on the website.

Currently keep a translation of the PSPP website (a trial) on Github, thanks to
its support for Markdown.
https://github.com/bedf/PSPP-document-translations/blob/master/pspp-web-spanish/home_page.md

I have also begun to rise several screenshots for pspp and psppire.
https://github.com/bedf/PSPPire-artwork/tree/master/web-resources

Regards

--
Bastián Díaz