qemu-devel

Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions

From: Rohit Shinde
Subject: Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:00:57 -0400

Hey Thomas,

I didn't really have any specific questions. I wanted to know if there was any part of qemu that I could contribute to. Qemu is overwhelmingly vast and without some pointers, I felt very lost.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 1:51 AM Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
On 25/08/2020 04.26, Rohit Shinde wrote:
> Hey John,
>
> I sent this email a couple of weeks ago to the qemu mailing list since I
> didn't really know who to approach.

  Hi Rohit,

The qemu-devel mailing list is very high traffic. So I'm sorry, but you
might need to be a little bit more specific with your questions if you
expect an answer...

>     I have built qemu from source and I have my machine setup for
>     git-publish via email.
>
>     I would like to start contributing with one of the bite sized tasks
>     mentioned in the wiki page. The one that interests me and which I
>     think is the easiest are the sections on "Compiler Driven Cleanup"
>     and "Dead Code Removal". I think this is a good way to get
>     introduced to the codebase.

Sure, just go ahead and have a try! Once you've successfully wrote a
patch, please have a look at
https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch how to submit it.

>     I plan to stay and become a long term contributor. Is there any CS

What does "CS" stand for?
Computer Science :)

>     theory that I would need to know other than what I mentioned above?
>     Is it possible to "learn on the go"?

You certainly have to "learn on the go", since it is likely quite
impossible to grasp a huge project like QEMU at once.

I am interested in contributing to something like device emulation. There might be lots of devices which Qemu might want to emulate but which haven't yet been emulated. If possible, I would like to give that a shot. However, there was work related to python packaging as well, which I had commented on in Launchpad. John told me quite a bit about that as well. I am interested in that as well. I have already submitted a trivial patch for handling compiler warnings and I am trying to get it accepted.

  Cheers,
   Thomas

Thanks,
Rohit.