qemu-devel

Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:40:41 -0400

On 8/24/20 10:26 PM, Rohit Shinde wrote:
Hey John,

Hi Rohit!

I sent this email a couple of weeks ago to the qemu mailing list since I didn't really know who to approach.

Sorry, I didn't see a mail. The volume is quite high and I missed it. For Python issues, the usual suspects are:

Me (Lately),
Markus Armbruster (Primarily around the QAPI parser),
Cleber Rosa (Primarily around VM tests),
Eduardo Habkost (In general).

I am interested in contributing to the python-qemu package. I have quite a bit of experience in Python, but no experience in packaging libraries.

I must admit I am also quite new to packaging python, but I'm learning as I go. For now, we do not have any published package so we do not need to maintain any kind of stable API, but there are many places in the QEMU source tree that rely on the python packages and must keep working.

Whatever you mentioned in the reply to my comment on the bug, was pretty interesting. I would like to get started with at least ensuring that all python code is flake8/pylint compliant.

OK! I have some patches in progress, let me clean them up for post-5.1 and I will CC you when I send them. I have been on PTO for a little while and was focused on another project, so they have to be resurrected a little bit.

I will likely continue to be distracted by other projects, so if you are able to help with some of the Python refactoring/redevelopment that will be a good help.

Do let me know what you think of this.

Sure, stay tuned.

Thanks,
Rohit.