qemu-devel

Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:51:07 -0400

On 8/26/20 11:00 AM, Rohit Shinde wrote:
Hey Thomas,

I didn't really have any specific questions. I wanted to know if there was any part of qemu that I could contribute to. Qemu is overwhelmingly vast and without some pointers, I felt very lost.

Yeah, it can be hard to get started.

What are your interests in programming/development, any specific types of coding you like doing more than others? What draws you to the QEMU in particular? Is there something you'd like to see QEMU do that it doesn't today, or something you feel like you are particularly suited to doing?

If I can figure out what brought you here, maybe I can direct you to some projects that might benefit from your attention. [Apart from the Python stuff, which we are discussing elsewhere in another thread.]

Some topic areas:

- Emulation (TCG)
- Virtualization (KVM)
- Esoteric/Legacy architecture/device emulation
- Optimization (Network, Storage, CPU)
- Regression/Acceptance Testing
- Fuzzing
- Configuration
- Deployment
- Continuous Integration
- Accessibility, Ease-of-use
- Build systems & tooling
- Development process
- SDK/API development

If you have any specific knowledge in areas that aren't Linux on x86, there are likely areas of QEMU that could benefit from your knowledge. We are always looking for people to help maintain and develop code intended for other architectures on other platforms.

--js