qemu-devel

Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: Contributor wanting to get started with simple contributions
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 06:37:52 +0200

On 26/08/2020 17.00, Rohit Shinde wrote:
> Hey Thomas,
>
> I didn't really have any specific questions. I wanted to know if there
> was any part of qemu that I could contribute to. Qemu is overwhelmingly
> vast and without some pointers, I felt very lost.

Ok, that's true - QEMU is really a huge project. I'd really recommend to
pick some topics from https://wiki.qemu.org/Contribute/BiteSizedTasks
first to get a feeling for contributing patches to QEMU. Since you're
interested in emulation, maybe the topics from the "Device models"
section would also be a good fit?

>     >     I plan to stay and become a long term contributor. Is there any CS
>
>     What does "CS" stand for?
>
> Computer Science :)

Oh, well, thanks, ok, that was too easy. I guess there are just too many
abbreviations around ;-)

>     >     theory that I would need to know other than what I mentioned
>     above?

I'd recommend to browse the various KVM forum presentations on
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Category:Conferences to see if there is
something that catches your eye. You can find the recordings of most
presentations on
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCSQmAOh7yzgheq-emy1xA , too.

>     >     Is it possible to "learn on the go"?
>
>     You certainly have to "learn on the go", since it is likely quite
>     impossible to grasp a huge project like QEMU at once.
>
> I am interested in contributing to something like device emulation.
> There might be lots of devices which Qemu might want to emulate but
> which haven't yet been emulated.
Sure, but I think you first need a target you're interested in first.
E.g. do you want to focus on x86, ARM, PPC, m68k, ... ? Depending on
that, you can start looking around in the hw/ directory for "missing" or
"TODO" items.

 Thomas