Re: [RP] Fundamental Question

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] Fundamental Question
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:48:31 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 09:36:36 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Chunky Kibbles <address@hidden>
> cc: address@hidden
>
> Actually, I've worked out what was going wrong:
> xterm core dumps whenever it tries to run under ratpoison on my
> machine [RH6.2, X335, kernel2217, ratpoison version 005 and CVS]
> As a result, I couldn't get any wndows up [I removed the emacs code; I
> use vi...]

You removed the emacs code?  what?  ratpoison is made *for* emacs :)

Does xterm ever dump core when you start it from other rodent based
wms?  I don't use RedHat, what xterm version comes with RH6.2?

> Pushing C-t C-w didn't show anything...

I talked to Shawn about this, apparently you should see a single pixel
vertical line when there are no windows.  You gotta look close though.

> Anyway; I changed the source so it opens an aterm [bleargh; but better
> than a gnome-terminal or a eterm]
> And now it all palys nice.

Perhaps we should make the autoconf system look for the path to xterm
so it will always play nice by default.  Adding a
--with-xterm=USERSXTERM option would be a good idea as well.

> I have to say; this is a REALLY nice window manager. At least, I play
> games a lot... and this works really well for it.

Glad you were able to get it up and running.

Ryan

--
Kids, don't gross me off..  ``Adventures with MENTAL HYGIENE''
 can be carried too FAR!