Re: [RP] Some changes

From: Martin Samuelsson
Subject: Re: [RP] Some changes
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 02:01:18 +0100

On Sat, Feb 10, 2001 at 03:28:53PM -0800, Ryan Yeske wrote:
> > Anyway, so next weekend seems like a reasonable target date for
> > 0.0.6. What do you guys think?

i think it's time for a new release. it's a pity i can't give any constructive
code with my limited knowledge.

> ya know all those char[100]'s through the source, well there are some
> bugs surrounding those hard coded values, i was getting strange
> crashes using mozilla.  turns out with mozilla i can get window names
> longer than 100, and they overflow the buffer.  anyway, thats almost
> all done, its now using dynamically resizing string buffers.

i submitted this to the bug system a while ago, so you are not alone having the
problem. it has anyed me when usng irc in channels with long topics to...

> i would like to get real keymap support done, perhaps not runtime
> binding, but at least being able to (in actions.c) define different
> key prefixes, or bind actions to keys sans prefix.  i have that
> working, but its not too clean yet.  should be able to have it ready
> for next weekend.

i would like to see run time keybinding at some time, but not until after 0.0.6
i guess. if i get the time and motivation i'll try to rewrite my
"<PREFIX>:number"-patch to be a little more beutiful and see if it can get into
0.0.7 or such.

> the reason is, i build up that string and then draw it to the bar
> window, to separate the string/memory management from the window
> operations.  if too many people are attached to having lots of colors
> used up in ratpoison I do have a way to put them back in there.

i hate to be a pain in the ass, but i like the different color. it really is a
lot faster for the eye to catch than an asterix. of course, you decide what
happens because you write the code.

my opinions are worthless as long as i am to lazy to type.

> ya, you could say im ripping out code more than im contributing new
> code, but we gotta keep the memory footprint and the possibility for
> bugs down :)

they are still in cvs arn't they. i guess everyone can check out an old version
if they miss something. :)
--
/Martin