Re: [RP] Some changes

From: shawn
Subject: Re: [RP] Some changes
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:47:04 -0800

>ya know all those char[100]'s through the source, well there are some
>bugs surrounding those hard coded values, i was getting strange
>crashes using mozilla.  turns out with mozilla i can get window names
>longer than 100, and they overflow the buffer.  anyway, thats almost
>all done, its now using dynamically resizing string buffers.

Excellent. More cruft gone from that all-nighter way back in september :).

>i would like to get real keymap support done, perhaps not runtime
>binding, but at least being able to (in actions.c) define different
>key prefixes, or bind actions to keys sans prefix.  i have that
>working, but its not too clean yet.  should be able to have it ready
>for next weekend.

Alright! kickin. I'd like to add at least limited key binding and
command executing (ie popping up a window and typing 'next_window' or
something).

>also, as a result of the work that i have done, i have the ability to
>color the current window differently in the window bar.  however, it
>now places an asterisk between the number and the name of the current
>window, a la screen:
>
>0-emacs  1*mozilla  2-xterm
>
>the reason is, i build up that string and then draw it to the bar
>window, to separate the string/memory management from the window
>operations.  if too many people are attached to having lots of colors
>used up in ratpoison I do have a way to put them back in there.

There's no problem with emulating screen behavior! But if I understand
it correctly, you REMOVED the code to color the current window?

>while im on the topic i was thinking it might be nice to do like 9wm
>and get rid of colors altogether, always have black on white.  it does
>means a the antidream of a themable ratpoison would be a greater
>impossibility :)

Well you can by custo-ing the colors in conf.h...

>ya, you could say im ripping out code more than im contributing new
>code, but we gotta keep the memory footprint and the possibility for
>bugs down :)

This is worthy of praise.