Re: [RP] Some changes

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] Some changes
Date: 11 Feb 2001 10:28:23 -0800

shawn <address@hidden> writes:

> >also, as a result of the work that i have done, i have the ability to
> >color the current window differently in the window bar.  however, it
> >now places an asterisk between the number and the name of the current
> >window, a la screen:
> >
> >0-emacs  1*mozilla  2-xterm
> >
> >the reason is, i build up that string and then draw it to the bar
> >window, to separate the string/memory management from the window
> >operations.  if too many people are attached to having lots of colors
> >used up in ratpoison I do have a way to put them back in there.
>
> There's no problem with emulating screen behavior! But if I understand
> it correctly, you REMOVED the code to color the current window?

no i didnt REMOVE the code _exactly_.  the way it worked before, in
update_window_names, you cycled through the windows and drew the names
to the screen one by one.  when you came to the current window, you
drew it in BOLD.  but that routine was quite hairy so what i did was
separate the building up of the window list string buffer from the
actual drawing of it.  so, at the end of update_window_names i have a
string that has all of the windows and I pass that to
display_msg_in_bar which then creates the right size window and draws
the string into it.

so now to get back to highlighting the current window in a different
color we have to do something different.  I was thinking that
display_msg_in_bar could take 2 more parameters, 2 indexes into the
string that represent a substring to draw in BOLD.

> >while im on the topic i was thinking it might be nice to do like 9wm
> >and get rid of colors altogether, always have black on white.  it does
> >means a the antidream of a themable ratpoison would be a greater
> >impossibility :)
>
> Well you can by custo-ing the colors in conf.h...

I think the most readable though would be black on white for all bar
messages with the text for the current window being an xored block.
sort of like the menu's in 9wm/9menu, cept horizontal.

I suppose that does not require removing color customization
altogether, it just seems simpler from a user and code standpoint to
remove that cruft.

> >ya, you could say im ripping out code more than im contributing new
> >code, but we gotta keep the memory footprint and the possibility for
> >bugs down :)
>
> This is worthy of praise.

as long as there's something left when im done...

hey, in this recent hacking on rp i finally found a good use for my
NeXT.  I run gdb ratpoison from it to have an independant debugging
console that I can always see.

Ryan

--
I was in EXCRUCIATING PAIN until I started reading JACK AND JILL
 Magazine!!