Re: [RP] default keybinding

From: John Meacham
Subject: Re: [RP] default keybinding
Date: Wed Aug 27 00:53:11 2003

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 08:54:18PM +1000, Doug Kearns wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 08:34:55PM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
> > I need a stronger push to change the default key, I think. What do
> > other people think?
>
> I doubt you can really win. Do many people use the default?
>
> I'm a vim user which leaves me with pretty much nothing to use with a C-
> prefix - I settled on C-2 which is surprisingly comfortable.

this would be the point of changing it to ctrl-m or ctrl-i, vi, and in
fact all terminal apps can't use them as bindings so we know they are
much more likely to be free.

incidentally, my prefix 'key' is dropping my left thumb, pinky, and ring
finger at the same time anywhere and doing a counterclockwise twist. :) I love
my fingerworks keyboard. using hand gestures to control ratpoison is
quite a fluid experience. I have it set up such that sliding my hand up
and down cycles through all the frames and left and right cycles between
windows in the selected frame, with a single wiggly motion I can switch
every window on my desktop as i see fit :)

Oddly enough, since the default doesn't matter that much, my
prediliction would be to change it rather than leave it since it gives
people a slightly better out-of-box experience and first impressions are
very important. also, ctrl-t is usually the binding used for nested screens.

        John
John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - address@hidden