[RP] Re: speaking of keyboard enthusiasts!

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: [RP] Re: speaking of keyboard enthusiasts!
Date: Fri Nov 21 09:15:02 2003

* John Meacham <address@hidden> [Nov, 21 2003 15:10]:
> I have mentioned it before, but the fingerworks touchstream
> (http://fingerworks.com/) works beautifully with ratpoison and some
> custom gestures.
looks interesting.  too bad it's so expensive.
anyway, it says it's zero force - is this nice, or do you get a lot of
accidental keypresses?  how nice is the gesture functionality really?
do you ever reach for the mouse?
is it ergonomical to use it?  i really need a new keyboard and this may
actually be interesting.  damn, i want to nail it down and now i just
got another keyboard to consider.  so far, my list is
        Kinesis Advantage
                + good use of thumbs
                + bowls for hands (is this actually good?)
                + dvorak easily enabled
                + mapping (is this really that necessary?)
                + looks kind of cool
                - expensive
                - kind of thick
                - bad escape key placement (?)
        TypeMatrix EZ-Reach
                + cheapest of the three
                + often used keys in middle
                + small
                + very thin
                + flat keys - membrane (is this a plus?)
                + look cool
                - no usb support
                - rather new
                - smallish escape key
        TouchStream ST
                + no force typing (is this a plus?)
                + good use fo thumbs (it seems)
                + good escape key (for vim)
                + foldable (not really a plus, but useful perhaps)
                + gestures (is this a plus?)
                - least cool looking of the three
                - very expensive
                - the keys look weird (probably just a feeling)
has anyone given any of these an extensive tryout, preferably someone
with RSI (sorry for your physical problem, but it would be great to know
if any of these actually work to alleviate it).  So far it seems that
Kinesis has the most backing and is the most well known and trusted one.
This doesn't mean it's the best one though.  I love my Happy Hacking
Keyboard, but I really need another keyboard soon.
        nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::