Re: [RP] RP-EXC The RatPoison Embedded Xterm Console patch

From: Joshua Neuheisel
Subject: Re: [RP] RP-EXC The RatPoison Embedded Xterm Console patch
Date: Mon Jan 12 11:25:09 2004

From: Shawn Betts

Wow, this patch is SICK. I...don't know what to say :). I'm intrigued
by it.
Cool...

Couldn't it have been done as a seperate program that communicates
through the existing remote command code (with some patching of
course)? It seems a bit much to have it in core ratpoison.
The short answer is yes, it could have been done in another program. The longer answer is that the stream redirection is easier when we use fork, but we could have used unix domain sockets or other IPC in a separate program.

Joshua, what sort of uses have you found for it? and...WHY did you
write it?? (not that it's a BAD thing, I'm just amazed that you did!)
1. I really like having full readline control when entering commands.
2. Issuing non-interactive commands is easy this way.
3. I wanted to use the "-S" option in xterm at least once in my life. Seriously. 4. I've found the stream redirection very useful. Evolution crashes on me regularily, and it's useful to see the error messages without having to switch back to a virtual console.

In the final analysis, I did it for fun. If people like it, great. If not, that's OK, too. I'm going to maintain the patch for a little while since I'm used to the console window now.

If anyone else has comments - both pro or con, I'd love to here them.
Joshua

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software — optimizes dial-up to the max! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=byoa/plus&ST=1