Re: [RP] RP-EXC The RatPoison Embedded Xterm Console patch

From: Joshua Neuheisel
Subject: Re: [RP] RP-EXC The RatPoison Embedded Xterm Console patch
Date: Wed Jan 14 05:32:03 2004

From: "twb"
> I have noticed that if you redirect ratpoison (in .xinitrc), all it's
spawn get similarly redirected.

Unless we explicitly redirect the standard streams (or close them), spawned
children will inherit them, so yes, redirecting the output from ratpoison on
the command line will capture the output of the children.  We could then set
up a pipe (named or unnamed) and print that output to an xterm through the
pipe (with the aid of a shell or other small program).  This would
effectively mirror the output functionality of the EXC.  We would still need
to hack RP to listen for input from its stdin stream though.

> Then do FIFO stuff that I don't grok?
Get a copy of "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" by W. Richard
Stevens.  It is indispensable.  FIFOs, pipes, pseudo-terminals, streams...
it's all in there.

Joshua