Re: [RP] non-working key

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: [RP] non-working key
Date: Wed May 5 22:07:00 2004

   keycode 30 = F6 asciicircum

... is in the IB file (iBook 'board).

   keycode 30 = 6 asciicircum

... is in the KI file (Kinesis 'board).

   So, which is it?

Both! -- but I was observing the problem when using the KI file.

   You say it works in xev. What keysym does it say when you hit the key?

Well, at first I couldn't reproduce this (got nothing out of xev),
but now it produces

   KeyRelease event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0xa00001, root
    0x57, subw 0x0, time 675377029, (1024,768), root:(1022,766),
    state 0x0, keycode 30 (keysym 0x36, 6), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: "6"

No idea why it didn't work at first, but that's what I got.

And please note that even with this working, I still can't type a
`6' into anything else besides xev and the RP bar.

   Let's see the rp command you're running that messes up. I'm not
   parsing 6/^ and escape/^. I wanna see rp commands.

Here's something that may satisfy your request: F6 does not function
as an escape key when I'm using my KI xmodmap either.  (The only way
I managed to do the testing described above was to bind A-n to next,
etc.)  When I type F6 into emacs or the shell, I get a visual
bell.  When I type it into xev, I get

    KeyRelease event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0xa00001,
    root 0x57, subw 0x0, time 675920004, (1024,768), root:(1022,766),
    state 0x0, keycode 105 (keysym 0xffc3, F6), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:  ""

This is the correct binding for the KI map,

  keycode 105= F6

Moreover, at the shell prompt, ratpoison -c "escape F6" does not
cause a change (produces "escape: unknown key '(null)'").

By contrast, ratpoison -c "escape 5" just gave me a new escape key.

Is this sufficiently illustrative?

   > Also note that the six key was working as usual in 1.3.0-RC1b.

   When you say "as usual", do you mean you were able to use it as the
   prefix key? And now you can't?

What I meant was that when I had the binding

   keycode 30 = 6 asciicircum

I could type a `6'.  But now I can't.

(I never used 6 as a prefix key - I always used F6 as a prefix key
on both keyboards.)

Joe