[RP] Ratpoison on the OLPC XO

From: Bill Clementson
Subject: [RP] Ratpoison on the OLPC XO
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:35:35 -0800

Hi Shawn et al,

I recently posted on my blog about my experiences trying to use
ratpoison on the OLPC XO laptop:
http://bc.tech.coop/blog/080207.html

I was able to get ratpoison running on a Xubuntu install on the XO;
however, I encountered some problems when trying to run it on the
Fedora-base install that comes standard on the XO. I posted a comment
about this on the OLPC forum:
http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=1955.msg15262#msg15262

There was some comment on my post (and I see that you Shawn also made
a comment). Heng was able to suggest a patch (see here:
http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=1955.msg15609#msg15609) that
allowed me to at least get ratpoison to compile and run. However, the
default font that ratpoison uses is way too small to be usable on the
small XO. Heng suggested (see here:
http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=1955.msg15948#msg15948) that
adding support for Xft might be the solution, but that sounds like a
lot of work.

Do you (Shawn or anyone else) have any ideas as to how ratpoison can
be made more usable on the XO? I have only just started using it, but
I find it quite addictive. However, if I can only use it if I do an
alternative boot, that would be hard to justify. Hope you have some
suggestions.

Best,
Bill