Re: [RP] Ratpoison on the OLPC XO

From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Re: [RP] Ratpoison on the OLPC XO
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:51:35 -0800

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your quick response!

On Feb 11, 2008 11:50 PM, Shawn Betts <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2008 10:35 PM, Bill Clementson <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > I was able to get ratpoison running on a Xubuntu install on the XO;
> > however, I encountered some problems when trying to run it on the
> > Fedora-base install that comes standard on the XO. I posted a comment
> > about this on the OLPC forum:
> > http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=1955.msg15262#msg15262
> >
> > There was some comment on my post (and I see that you Shawn also made
> > a comment). Heng was able to suggest a patch (see here:
> > http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=1955.msg15609#msg15609) that
> > allowed me to at least get ratpoison to compile and run. However, the
> > default font that ratpoison uses is way too small to be usable on the
> > small XO.
>
> You can change the font with C-t : set font
>  Does that help?

I ran xlsfonts and got the following:
-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--0-0-75-75-c-0-iso8859-1
-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-100-100-100-c-60-iso8859-1
-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
6x13
cursor
fixed

So, I created a ~/.ratpoisonrc file with the following line:
deffont -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1

When ratpoison started up, it still started with the default (tiny) font.

It would appear that there are some issues with X fonts on the XO:
Discussion: http://en.forum.laptop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1200
Bug report: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5775

I have very little experience with X font issues, so I don't know
whether these are things that can be worked around in ratpoison or
whether they need to be solved first before ratpoison can be made to
use a larger font. Any further suggestions you can give would be
welcome!

> > Heng suggested (see here:
> > http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=1955.msg15948#msg15948) that
> > adding support for Xft might be the solution, but that sounds like a
> > lot of work.
> >

> I replied to his message in the olpc forum.

Yes, I saw that. Thanks.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Regards,
Bill