Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 13:13:52 +0200

Bob Proulx <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> It seems the www CVS server is currently in a bad shape:

>> $ cvs up index.html
>> cvs [update aborted]: Could not map memory to RCS archive
>> /web/guix/guix/packages/index.html,v: Cannot allocate memory
>
> This is a long running resource problem with vcs.  The outside world
> can sometimes overwhelm the machine with too many things happening.
> The FSF has informed us that new hardware is very soon to be
> available.  But as of yet we don't have it yet.  And frankly there is
> no guarentee that the new hardware will be sufficient yet.  I worry it
> won't be enough.

This is worrisome, indeed.

This particular file takes 7 MiB and has a large history (it is updated
daily), which perhaps makes things worse.  I managed to commit an update
just now, maybe a sign that the machine is in a better state?

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/

Also, I’m under the impression that web page updates are queued.  For
instance the timestamp at the bottom of the page above says “April 14”,
whereas the commit from now succeeded (and so it should read “April
19”.)

Regardless, if GNU packages and other projects hosted on Savannah can no
longer update their web pages, then it’s the beginning of the end.  We
should make sure the FSF shares this conclusion and that the issue will
be addressed in a timely fashion, IMO.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.