Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:35:31 -0600

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> Not to mention that it isn't a problem with CVS; git would have
> similar issues down the line; and the file as such is heavy for the
> network pipe on both ends -- it is a 7MiB download.

It is a very *heavy* file.  It took a significant amount of wait time
on my browser for it to load.  I paged down as it was loading.  And
paged down.  And paged down.  It took a while.

  time wget http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
    index.html [   <=>                ]  6.77M  51.4KB/s in 3m 55s
    2016-04-21 12:32:19 (29.6 KB/s) - ‘index.html’ saved [7098898]
    real    3m55.844s
    user    0m0.092s
    sys     0m0.216s

This makes me wonder how useful it is in the present state.  Are
people really needing the entire state of the entire system all in one
page?  Probably not.  Seems like the kind of thing people would only
be interested in a much smaller set of information.  Such as only
packages they own.  Or only packages of a certain name.  It definitely
needs something different than it is now.  Just gzip'ing the file
would be a huge improvement.  www.gnu.org doesn't offer transport
compression.

  gzip -v index.html
    index.html:      90.1% -- replaced with index.html.gz

Bob