Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Web CVS server unavailable
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:45:11 -0600

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Ouch, I didn’t know CVS was this bad.  Sorry that it causes problems!

Just trying to make some of the invisible workings visible. :-)

> I can change the program that generates it to include newlines, but we’d
> still have to remove history.  Would it help?

Yes.  Is the history for this file important?  If it is then we can
certainly preserve it.  But I think for this file we could choose to
trim it down.  It looks like we could start again and it would be okay
for this file.

But wait!  Because I suggest we convert that page to a dynamically
created and cached page instead.  What do you think?

> What about providing rsync/ssh access like for nongnu.org?  After all,
> HTML pages that get displayed are often not source nowadays, so people
> could use a separate repo for the source and simply rsync the HTML.

Like for nongnu.org?  I have only been actively working on the system
for five years or so now.  I haven't had time to learn *everything*
that is happening everywhere upon it.  :-)  To what access for
nongnu.org are you referring to?

> > How is the data on that page generated?
>
> Using
> <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/www/packages.scm>.

What is the input source feeding into that script?

> Can www.gnu.org host such pages at all?

Only if an FSF admin sets it up.  We have no access there.  However I
doubt that is the best place to host this script.  It depends upon the
source of the data feeding into it.  Is that on download.sv.gnu.org?

> It’s clear that CVS is a hindrance for such purposes so if there’s
> another possibility, I’m all for it!  :-)

I am going to presume (likely wrongly, but just for the purpose of
furthering this discussion) that the input source is on download.  In
which case that would be the best place for that script to generate
the information page.  We can set that up there.  For example the
mirror processing and status pages are hosted there.

Bob