Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Allowing git repos to automatically push t

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Allowing git repos to automatically push to gnu.org/software/$PROJECT
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:14:08 -0600

    Ok, seems like we should setup a development instance of Savane, at
    least the relevant parts. Does that sound right?

FWIW, I found it impossible in practice to set up a usable development
instance of Savannah (or Savane). Thus, when I wanted to do experiments
like this, I merely copied the php file in the live directory (on
frontend) to a different name (e.g., editgroupkarl.php) and then worked
on that.

Otherwise I could have spent my whole life trying to get the development
savannah working, and never made any progress on the actual
problem. Adding in the FSF connection (precisely one of the places where
"Savane" and "Savannah" differ, BTW, as I understood it) and it sounds
even more problematic to get a development instance working.

On the other hand, if you want to try, Assaf (Gordon) put a lot of
effort into setting up a development instance, and (afaik) it did work
for him. He documented his process here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/FrontEndDevelopmentSite

Happy hacking,
Karl