Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XML::DOM on fencepost

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XML::DOM on fencepost
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:59:42 -0400

   Dans un message du 19 avr à 17:35, Martin Hamilton écrivait :
   > | 3) update the alias file
   >
   > For simple mailing lists we could take advantage of this :-
   >   http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman.html
   > which would obviate the need to tweak alias files

   that could be a good idea. But I've noticed the lines in the HOWTO are
   commented in exim.conf. I've concluded that for some reason we don't
   want to use that "trick". But everyone agrees on this, that would be
   a cleaner solution.

I think we might have had some problems getting the permissions set
correctly, which may be why we aren't using it.

However, it seems to me that ignoring whatever historical bogosity has
been causing us to not use it, there are probably two issues that will
cause us to want to still not use that trick:

1) The URL cited above asserts that it interacts poorly with using
multiple domain names that are seprate.  Since we are will be that,
this affects us.

2) We have a rather unique secondary mail server setup around GNU.  I
don't think I've gotten around to documenting for the world very
thoroughly what it is I did, which probably means that gnu.org is the
only thing in the world that uses it.

Anyway, delysid needs to be able to know what lists exist on fencepost
so that it can handle them appropriately.  We could generate a special
alias file for delysid that would tell it what lists exist, but that
would probably be about as much work as just not using the trick
anyway.