Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:38:59 +0100

He just assumed that if something is hosted under freesoftware.fsf.org
it would be an official FSF project. It would not surprise me if more
than 50% of the people made a similar assumption since that is the way
the internet is normally organized.

BTW, the easiest way to solve the problem is to:
- add an explicit note on http://savannah.gnu.org/
- explain to savannah hosted project that they should write a thing like « hosted by ... » - add a (for example) ABOUT_THESES_FILES text file in each freesoftware.fsf.org/download/$project with the same explicit note.

- It's easy to do.
- It keeps things working as people know them.
- It makes sure that anyone misunderstanding what is freesoftware.fsf.org is only one's who don't make any effort (read two words, hu!!!) and so don't deserve any further effort. It makes sure that anyone that care a little attention to what he see will well understand that freesoftware.fsf.org is a host, not the copyright owner nor the author.

I really think, and I hope that others do it also, that « internet is normally organized » by reading webpages. Not only the URL. Anyway, someone who only read URLs can't understand what means « gnu.org », « savannah.gnu.org », « fsf.org ».

Anyway, someone who make this kind of confusion could make a lot of confusion about any free hosting webservers. For example, if a project is located at $project.free.fr or www.geocities.com/$project or $project.sourceforge.net, someone thinking that free.fr, geocities.com or sf.net are author of this project, while trying to get in touch with server's admin, will probably see his mail going directly to the trash. There's many webserver that are only hosts. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of how internet works to forget that. This is NOT « the way the internet is normally organized » since this kind of web servers represent a large part of webservers on internet. I hope that there's not « more than 50% of the people made a similar assumption » and thinks that any homepages on geocities and free.fr, projects on sourceforge, in that way (associating an account on a server to the server admin).

--
mathieu

  ] les brevets, protection de l'innovation ?
  ] http://petition.eurolinux.org