Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 19:36:58 +0100

I see why we would want to host it under the FSF TLD to make sure
people realize the FSF provides this service, but I think we should
make sure people can easily distinguish between official FSF Projects,
official GNU Projects and projects that are merely hosted on savannah.

I see an another reason of hosting project under the FSF TLD : ... a reason in the developper point of view, and not the FSF one. It means for him and his user that is software IS REALLY a free software, clear about licensing issues.

Interesting standing, especially when many Free Software related people seems, now, to be unclear (VA Software with sourceforge, SuSE with Yast, Ximian with eventual proprietary modules in Evolution).

 rs> The real cause of his anger seems to be that we are hosting a
 rs> forked version of his program.

Although Jörg Schilling tends to overreact, seeing how it looks from
his side, I can somewhat understand why he would be upset. It
apparently looks to him that someone takes 6 years of his work,
applies a patch by someone else that didn't make it into the main
version because it was poorly written and broke hardware support on
many CD writers and then asks for donations to keep up the work. All
of this without ever contacting him once.

* DESCRIPTION ON SAVANNAH
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/dvdrtools
« This project is not part of the GNU project.

A fork of cdrtools with support for writing DVDs. »

* http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/dvdrtools/
« dvdrtools is a fork of cdrtools, with the primary goal of supporting writable DVD drives. The initial version was released February 4, 2002. »

It seems to me explicit that this software is a fork and is not affiliated the GNU project.

However: I'm trying to get the complete picture and believe it'll be
resolved somehow, so there is no point in discussing the specific
case. Of course we all believe in the freedom to fork, so does Jörg,
afaik, but that was not the question.

The whole thing seems to be only this specific discussions :

- How many people that develop Free Software have never heard about Savannah as Jörg do ? - Isn't the FSF responsible of the savannah content (and if not, why selecting and rejecting projects, so ?)

--
mathieu

  ] les brevets, protection de l'innovation ?
  ] http://petition.eurolinux.org