Re: [Savannah-hackers] Is there a limitation on the project type?

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Is there a limitation on the project type?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:16:17 +0100

mathieu writes:

 > Le jeu 14 mar 2002 à 18h06, Patrick Ohnewein a écrit :
 > > Hello savannah team,
 > >
 > > I have read the docs on the savannah site, but couldn't face out if
 > > it is agreed to open even less important projects. Let me explain, a
 > > friend of mine would like to learn to code in Java and he plays
 > > chess. So he would like to write a chess program from scratch. Now I
 > > would give him some help and therefore we need some repository (CVS)
 > > on the net to share and synchronize the code.
 > >
 > > I would like him to put the code under the GPL and as repository I
 > > think savannah would be a nice place, but only if you would like to
 > > have such kinds of projects on it. Don't know if you just accept more
 > > "mission critical" projects.
 >
 > If it doesnt exist a Free Software chess project in java that you can
 > help, why not ?

        Oh, and the only thing you should be extra careful about is to
use only Java feature that are implemented by Free Software virtual machines
and libraries. Nowadays, it is easy to become dependent on non free software
when writing a Java application. See http://www.gnu.org/software/java/ for
some pointers.

        Cheers,