Re: [Savannah-hackers] Is there a limitation on the project type?

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Is there a limitation on the project type?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 15:18:32 +0100

Le ven 15 mar 2002 à 15h02, Patrick Ohnewein a écrit :
        What you use to develop is of no consequence to anyone, except
for yourself. When distributing the Free Software you produce, it is
of great consequence to everyone if it can only be run using non free
software.

Yes, that's my question. Is it acceptable if the Java program just runs under the SUN VM, which for what I know isn't free software. Or has it to run at least under one free VM?

Yes it must be  able to run at least under one free VM.

The goal is getting sure that nobody must install proprietary software to use softwares availables on savannah.

 > So resume:
Can a java program, which *requires* SUNs VM, be free software?

It could be a free software : you can modify, redistribute the sources (etc).

But it's in a strange matter. It is some kind of linking to a proprietary software.

--
mathieu

  ] les brevets, protection de l'innovation ?
  ] http://petition.eurolinux.org