Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of qtcsharp

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of qtcsharp
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:58:14 +0000

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 01:54:50PM +0100, mathieu wrote:
> >     What makes you think that FSF and RMS support Ximian ?
>
> Some past RMS declaration (about a month or two ago) about this.
>
> For example
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/01/27/2232231

Reading that article what I conclude is that RMS does not support Ximian
(Ximian has "parted ways" with the Free software movement).
The other part about the convenience of using LGPL rather than the GPL in some
cases is not new and I don't think it has been said by RMS as a way of
supporting Ximian.

> Also, we cant take account of the fact that gnome.org recommand using
> Ximian redcarpet to install GNOME
> http://www.gnome.org/start/ (menu "get gnome" at www.gnome.org/ )

It seems to me that you have the option of either using Red Carpet or
downloading via ftp some packages that you can then install with your favorite
installing tool (if you succeed in loging into the FTP server which I could
not do today). But I agree that it is pitiful that one has to go to XIMIAN to
get binary packages for GNOME.

Cheers,
Jaime