[Savannah-hackers] Re: Websites For GNU Projects

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Websites For GNU Projects
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:53:56 +0200

Derek Neighbors writes:

Still COMPLETELY unclear, I have read the documentation as well.  Both projects
already exist on savannah, I merely need to know where to checkin the website
files so they will be automatically checked out.  Also, I see no distinguishly
clear way to upload the any files for downloads. (i.e. to ftp.gnu.org or where
ever)

        Sorry for being unclear. I'll proceed with an example, hopefully it
will be clear this time. I'm only dealing with HTML pages here, it is
absolutely unrelated to ftp.gnu.org.

        GNUE has two distinct CVS trees, as shown at
http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group_id=34

        One is labelled Sources
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnue/
        The other is labelled HTML
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/projects/gnue/?cvsroot=www.gnu.org

        To modify an HTML page:

cvs -z3 address@hidden:/webcvs/ co projects/gnue
cd projects/gnue
(edit faq.html for instance)
cvs commit -m 'I did this'

        On commit, the changes will be visible at

http://www.gnu.org/projects/gnue/faq.html

 > For GNU Enterprise we have a www/ directory under gnue/ that if we
 > put something in there it is automatically checked out on commit.
 > Maybe I am not sane thinking that savannah will work the same way?

        This directory
(http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnue/gnue/www/) is not linked
to www.gnu.org/projects/gnue in any way. The only automatic procedures
that exist are based on the usage described above.

        If it happens to be the case that you've heavily updated the
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnue/gnue/www/ directory and
want to move it to replace the
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/projects/gnue/?cvsroot=www.gnu.org
directory, I can do this.

        I guess that, in the past, there probably was custom scripts
extracting http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnue/gnue/www/ on
www.gnu.org. It still is possible to do it although it would probably
be better to use the existing syncrhonization procedure.

        I'm sorry about the confusion generated,