Re: [Savannah-hackers] snapshots

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] snapshots
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:23:23 +0100

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 07:52:44PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Le jeu 18 avr 2002 à 19h27, Colin Walters a écrit :

> > We have been discussing the merits of CVS snapshots on the Emacs
> > development list, and I volunteered to implement them.
> >
> > I just finished reading through the Savannah administration document,
> > and it was helpful.
>
> In fact, according to a precedent mail, there's already daily CVS tree
> snapshot
> there is a Jaime mail saying this
>
> I disabled the get-a-tarball feature of viewcvs, because distracted
> users
> would click on it in a high level directory, attempting to download
> hundreds
> of megabytes, which puts a very heavy load on the system.
>
> You can use instead:
>    wget http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs.backups/gnubg.tar.gz

It depends on what Colin has in mind. http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs.backups/ has
nightly tarballs of the whole project's repositories (*,v files).

Viewcvs has a feature to create tarballs with snapshots of the current state
of the repository. I disabled it because if users are not careful they might
end up asking for a tarball with humdreds of megabytes. But we can customize
viewcvs to make it create tarballs only for some directories.

> If this function is stable, we'll add some pointers and references in
> docs.
There are already references to http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs.backups/ in the
projects administration pages, but I think those are not the kind of snapshots
that Colin wants.

Cheers,
Jaime