Re: [Savannah-hackers] snapshots

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] snapshots
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:05:10 +0200

Colin Walters writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > We have been discussing the merits of CVS snapshots on the Emacs
 > development list, and I volunteered to implement them.
 >
 > I just finished reading through the Savannah administration document,
 > and it was helpful.
 >
 > A few questions:
 >
 > Has anyone started on something like this yet?  Are there any gotchas
 > you can think of?  Do you have any suggestions for testing it on, say my
 > Debian laptop?

        Shame on me (us ? I wouldn't dare ;-), the savannah documentation
lacks information about the current implementation of the CVS snapshots
that Jeff Bailey implemented. Jeff, could you describe it ?

 > One other comment: the replacement "setgroups" patch in the Savannah
 > manual looks bogus.  Why don't you just use the glibc syscall function?

        There are (were ?) reasons for this. When Gordon initialy
investigated this issue and figured out how to fix it, he submitted
modifications to the glibc that were discarded (can't remember why). A
year passed since I last checked that the problem was still here (hard
coded limitation), it's probably worth investigating again. The
setgroup hack is a *pain* to maintain.

        Cheers,