Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Velosurf Java dependency

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Velosurf Java dependency
Date: 21 Apr 2002 23:31:16 +0100

"Claude" <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanx.
>
> > > Nic wrote :
> > > Ok. So Velosurf requires Velocity? Veolcity is licenced under the
>  >> Apache licence, I don't think that is compatible with the GPL (am I
>  >> right? Loic?)
>
> > Loic wrote :
> >That's correct, they are incompatible.
>
> I had noticed the difference, but I thought that somehow, the apache lice=
> nce being less restrictive, an apache-licenced project
> could be use in a GPL project (which I like because of the way it tries t=
> o promote freeware).

It's all about the way you link the two together. In the way it's
done with servlets it's not possible to have ASF code and GPL code
linked. I'm not sure about the LGPL though.

> Nevermind. (And by the way, speeking
> of licences, isn't the Caucho licence quite close to the GPL one ?)

Caucho's licence is quite restrictive isn't it? It stops people using
Resin freely so that Caucho can charge them.

> > Nic wrote :
> > So Claude can either change the licence to something that does work or
> > submit the project somewhere else.
> >
> > Claude, have you considered asking the velocity people if they want
> > to accept your code? They're good guys and doing some interesting
> > stuff... since your project is based on velocity it might be the best
> > thing to do anyway!
>
> Yes, you're quite right... and that's what I'm gonna do...
> but Savannah's so nice and warm (sniff...)

It is. I don't see why we don't offer a home to projects with
OpenSource licences.... but I'm sure you understand that sourceforge
already do that so it's not our number one priority.

> > Nic wrote :
> > I'm in the process of making GNU Paperclips work on GCJ.
>
> I would be glad to spend some time on this project, if I can help.
> First, I'll post the problems I encountered on the Paperclips mailing lis=
> ts.

It would be great to have some help. Paperclips has quite a few
dependancies, I'm currently trying to get GNU JAXP to compile to
native (many of the other deps already compile to native, eg: GNU
Kawa).

Nic