Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Velosurf Java dependency

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Velosurf Java dependency
Date: 22 Apr 2002 01:09:25 +0100

"Claude" <address@hidden> writes:

> " It is the unofficial position of The Apache Software Foundation
> that the Apache licence is compatible with the GPL. However, the
> Free Software Foundation holds a different position, although we
> have not been able to get them to give us categorical answers to our
> queries asking for details on just what aspects they consider
> incompatible.

I don't think that's true. If you read the GPL you'll note that it
pretty much stops you linking anything to it that's not under a GNU
licence.

> Whether to mix software covered under these two different licences
> must be a determination made by those attempting such a synthesis."

Normally, of course, the FSF doesn't try and make people stop doing
this. We do try and point out that as things stand (and in our
opinion)  the combination of licences couldn't be defended or asserted
in court.

The reason for savannah is to provide a free software haven. As
you know the ASF licence does not promote free software and ASF
software is not free software.

That may seem academic but it's important to the FSF right now.

Nic