Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Velosurf Java dependency

From: Claude
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Velosurf Java dependency
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 01:34:58 +0200

> > I had noticed the difference, but I thought that somehow, the apache lice=
> > nce being less restrictive, an apache-licenced project
> > could be use in a GPL project (which I like because of the way it tries t=
> > o promote freeware).
>
> It's all about the way you link the two together. In the way it's
> done with servlets it's not possible to have ASF code and GPL code
> linked. I'm not sure about the LGPL though.

btw, I found this on the Apache Licencing FAQ (guess you already know it...) :

" It is the unofficial position of The Apache Software Foundation that the
Apache licence is compatible with the GPL. However, the
Free Software Foundation holds a different position, although we have not been
able to get them to give us categorical answers to
our queries asking for details on just what aspects they consider incompatible.

Whether to mix software covered under these two different licences must be a
determination made by those attempting such a
synthesis."

(http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html)

CloD
- good cooking requires lot of mixtures... ;-)