RE: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of bhakti

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: RE: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of bhakti
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:54:02 +0200

Kaushik Ashodiya writes:
 > I did not know the difference between Open Source and Free Software.
 > What I meant was that I want to make it free for all.

        Then you'll certainly like the Free Software movement. The
core of the Free Software movement is to ensure that software is free
(in the sense of freedom) for all. In order to achieve that, we use
the existing legal system : copyright. The GNU GPL license ensure that
noone can ever turn your software into a proprietary software. When you
use this license, everyone is free to use, modify, distribute and learn
from it.

        This ethical attitude of the Free Software movement is not
shared by the Open Source movement who focuses on technical advantages
(performances, robustness, cost etc, I'm sure you've heard all of them
;-).

        Free Software is freedom for individuals, companies and
governments. First and formost freedom for individuals, then companies
who are very welcome to do business with Free Software (including
software released under the GNU GPL) as long as they do not remove
freedom, and finaly governments who can only ensure their independance
if they use Free Software. Where would we be if governments massively
used software controled by a single company ? Oh, apparently that's
what they are doing: it seems they need to realize they are hostages
:-)

        Cheers,