Re: [Savannah-hackers] How to fight spam on GNU mailing lists

From: nferrier
Date: 26 Apr 2002 10:00:49 +0100

Milan Zamazal <address@hidden> writes:

> So I propose to set up or implement a system similar to the one I use
> with GNU GNATS for all the gnu.org mailing lists that *wish* to join it.
> I think that:
>
> - A single moderator could kill with a single action spams coming to all
>   the participating mailing lists.  Also a cooperative model should be
>   considered -- if I kill a spam in the GNU GNATS moderation queue, then
>   it gets killed in all participating mailing list queues.
>
> - Since spams typically terribly cross-post, they can be identified
>   better by a sharing system.  If a message *looking like a spam* comes
>   to many gnu.org mailing list queues in a certain time interval, then
>   it will be queued for global moderation, otherwise it will be passed
>   to local moderation.  Thus the global moderator mostly kills spam,
>   while the particular mailing list moderators mostly pass legitimate
>   messages.
>
> - If something is killed as spam somewhere, it will be killed as such
>   automatically if it arrives later to another mailing lists, based on a
>   check sum or message id.
>
> - We need a way to remove spam messages, that are not delayed by the
>   filter and later killed by moderators, from mailing list archives.
>   There is currently no such manageable possibility.
>
> I'm aware that at least one cooperative antispam system exists as a free
> software, but I don't know any details.  Maybe something existent can be
> used, maybe a new system would have to be implemented.
>
> Please note I am unable to participate in a particular set up or
> implementation work, I can help only in a limited way.  I hope my
> message is constructive enough otherwise, so you'll forgive me that.
> People seem to be annoyed by spam on gnu.org mailing lists enough to
> volunteer in this area, *once we agree on a proper solution*.

I administer 10 GNU mailing lists and they all recieve significant
spam hits.

Personally, what I would like is a mail front end to the
administration system for mailman. I'd like to discard posts to my
lists by simply sending mailman an approve/discard reply to the
message it sends me about possible spam.

I'd write such a tool myself but I don't have a lot of free time right
now.

I have noticed one thing: when one recieves a spam on a list one
usually recieves more from the same address over the period of a
couple of days.

The most sensible thing to do therefore would be to black list the spammer
address from GNU incomming mail servers for a week or so (if one does
it forever the banned addresses list would grow enormously). If we had
a quick way of banning an address for all incomming mail that would be
cool.

Nic Ferrier