Re: [Savannah-hackers] How to fight spam on GNU mailing lists

From: Mathieu Roy
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:27:50 +0200

Le lun 29 avr 2002 à  8h24, Martin Hamilton a écrit :
"Mathieu Roy" <address@hidden> writes:

| Hum, gnu adresses / mailing list should be accessible to everyone,
not

| only to hackers. And "everyone" dont know how to change his message
| headers or use GPG.

Yep, agree completely.  Every hacker had to start somewhere...

| This header stuff can be a real pain also for users who are not
| everytime in the same place, using the same computer.

Indeed.

Do you have a counter proposal?

What concerns me is that people are making their lists moderatedor
moving
away from gnu.org completely because of the spam problem.

I must admit that I dont see any perfect solution.

To me, it's acceptable to
        - filter known open relay smtp
        - filter message with korean and japaneses characters
        - filter message with a subject as "sex" "price"

I dont think that users should add something to theirs messages, normal users should have anything to do (I dont think that reading a HOWTO should be a prerequesite to get in touch with a project on his mailing list).

And I propose that the configurations files of spamassassin (if it's choosed) for fencepost are located on the CVS of a dedicated special project on savannah, fetched in a cron job. So it would be easy to add new rules if needed.

So what I propose is
- to use spamassassin (or another one, but this one seems to works fine, I've rode favorables comments about it) to filter the spam messages ; dont require anything for the users do to something special - to have the configurations files located on a CVS so it would be easy to modify it, adapt it with the new tendancies ; and control the whole filtering process - maybe works also with a whitelist system (it seems that spamassassin provide it to)

I think it should solve the recurrent mailing list spamming problem.

Mathieu Roy

* http://savannah.gnu.org/users/yeupou
* http://yeupou.coleumes.org
* http://gpg.coleumes.org (GPG Key)