Re: [Savannah-hackers] How to fight spam on GNU mailing lists

From: nferrier
Date: 26 Apr 2002 10:08:30 +0100

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:

> > Please note I am unable to participate in a particular set up or
> > implementation work, I can help only in a limited way.  I hope my
> > message is constructive enough otherwise, so you'll forgive me that.
> > People seem to be annoyed by spam on gnu.org mailing lists enough to
> > volunteer in this area, *once we agree on a proper solution*.
>

> Personnally, I agree completely.
> We should try to get a more efficient antispam system... and integrated
> in savannah should be fine. It's a pain to use the mailman interface...
> In the meantime, I will try to add a page that will include the mailman
> interface in a easy manner in savannah.

I wouldn't bother adding anything to savannah. The problem is the time
it takes to navigate the web interface when the interface for alerts
is mail.

We need to add 2 new admin request types to the mailman admin
interface:

- discard
- accept

the spam message can then be returned to the request address with
those as the commands, eg:

  to: address@hidden
  subject: discard
  --------
  text of alert message sent by mailman:
  > possible spam message: kl2345kh15lk312h5lkh
  .
  .
  .

>    "- I also delay messages coming from hotmail.com or yahoo.com, those
>    sites are unable to stop being spam sources.  This rule is
>    controversial, but it applies well in the particular case of the GNU
>    GNATS lists."
> We should to the same for known open relay SMTP.

I think we already do... I seem to remember that SMAIL (which is used
for all incomming mail) was configured to do that.

Nic