[Savannah-hackers] freesoftware.fsf.org: the issue that will not die

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] freesoftware.fsf.org: the issue that will not die
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:05:05 -0400

I know that the savannah-hackers are working hard to implement the full
split between freesoftware.fsf.org and savannah.gnu.org.  I hope this will
be done soon.  However, in the meantime, I have another issue I would
like to raise.

Twice, in the past few months, I have had to deal with PR problems arising
from the fact that people tend to think a document posted on
"freesoftware.fsf.org" is officially a statement from FSF.  I am worried
that as this URL becomes more prominent, we will see even more of these
sorts of problems.

I would like to (at least briefly) reopen the discussion about using
another domain instead.  We noticed here at the office that the domains
"softwarefreedom.net" and "software-freedom.net" are not yet taken.  I
think this would be a good name for the savannah services we give to the
community.

We could, of course, let freesoftware.fsf.org still do a URL-rewrite to
"SOMETHING.softwarefreedom.net"; the URLs need not break.  The important
thing for me is for the URL bar to show something that won't lead people
to believe it is an official position of the FSF.

Again, I am sorry to reopen this previously-decided issue, but I don't
want to spend more time dealing with with PR annoyance of getting asked if
items posted on freesoftware.fsf.org are official FSF statements.

   -- bkuhn