Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Software wish list - savannah

From: Ignacio García Fernández
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Free Software wish list - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:54:36 +0200

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 08:15:25AM -0400, toby cabot wrote:
> Ahoy Hugo (et al)!
>
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 07:22:59PM -0400, Hugo Gayosso wrote:
> > I think it is a good idea, the GNU project has the "Task List" which
> > is basically what you described:
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/prep/tasks_toc.html
>
> I've almost finished the task of moving the items from the old task
> list into Savannah's Help Wanted section.  The savannah hackers set me
> up with a project called "tasklist" that serves as a container for
> these help wanted entries.
>
> I like the idea of a public place to enter tasks, etc.  For the time
> being I think it would be OK to have people contact me and I'll add
> the items to Savannah.  If anyone would like to volunteer to help on a
> long-term basis I can add them to the set of admins of the tasklist
> project so they can add items themselves.

Actually, what we could try to do is to develop some kind of interface for
users to the gnu and savannah task-list.

I think that a task list in the way it is set in a common FS sproject is not
"user friendly". It is done from the developer point of view, and it is
difficult for an user to add or search anything.

We were thinkng of something more like a place wher I can go, not as a
developer, but as a chess player, and say that I don't have any free program
to organize a chess tournament in my local club, and that I have to use
swissperfect instead.

This "user" info is stored, and in some way converted into a task or a help
wanted item.

Our work should be to provide an interface for users, and to translate the
requests in some manner into tasks or whatever.

To make things more concise, I propose a web site that holds an interface
for users who want to ask for programs or anything, and that sends the
information to the project GNU Task List. This should not be very difficult.

In a later stage, we could try to feed the site back, showing the info of the
project in a way more interesting for users, following for example the
structure of the Free Software Directory at www.gnu.org.

We are just waiting to know how to do this. :-)

Regards

Ignacio

--
May the source be with you               NO A LA GUERRA - NOT TO WAR
Ignacio García Fernández                       Instituto de Robótica