[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Free Software wish list - savannah

From: Ignacio García Fernández
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Free Software wish list - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:24:22 +0200

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:38:02PM -0400, Hugo Gayosso wrote:

> I don't understand why using Savannah's Support feature doesn't fill
> your needs.

Hmm. Yes, probably fits most of our needs. This could be a starting point,
and later we could see if there is any additional feature needed.

> As far as I can see, your proposal is a web site which will contain:
>
> 1) Web page with instructions
> 2) Web form to submit new requests
> 3) Web form to do search on the existing requests
>
> and Savannah's Support Feature provides all this.

Yes, it does. But also www.gnu.org/directory provides that (except for the
form for new programs, that is a template to be e-mailed) and is quite more
intuitive and more user-oriented.

But we don't want to duplicate efforts. We are not stubborn saying "we want
our own project". We agree with your note below.

The main question you ask is: Why we think this is not enough? The reason
why we started to move this arround is that we see that many users do not
go to Savannah's Support Feature web page when they want to say "I need
that program and it is not free".

Perhaps it is not a problem of lack of places to say that, but of people
not knowing where to ask.

However, It could be a good starting point to build a small web site with a
self explainig name that explains a user the main ideas and that redirects
him to savannah web forms.

Or perhaps we should join savannah's task-list project and see how can we
inprove it :-)

--
May the source be with you               NO A LA GUERRA - NOT TO WAR
Ignacio García Fernández                       Instituto de Robótica