[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Free Software wish list - savannah

From: Ignacio García Fernández
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Free Software wish list - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 18:30:12 +0200

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 03:37:28PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Ignacio García Fernández <address@hidden> said:
>
> > I think that a task list in the way it is set in a common FS sproject is not
> > "user friendly". It is done from the developer point of view, and it is
> > difficult for an user to add or search anything.
> >
> > We were thinkng of something more like a place wher I can go, not as a
> > developer, but as a chess player, and say that I don't have any free program
> > to organize a chess tournament in my local club, and that I have to use
> > swissperfect instead.
> >
> > This "user" info is stored, and in some way converted into a task or a help
> > wanted item.
>
> For this purpose, "support request" seems the most appropriate.
>
> IHMO the task list should be managed only by the task list people,
> which one check whether a request is appropriate, not duplicate etc.

Yes, we dont want to modify it from outside the project. I don't think is a
good idea. Neither, abviously, allow people modify it.

> A user open a request saying "Blah should be on task list".

Actually, our idea is more oriented to people that do not even know that
such task list exists. A user request would be more something like what i
said above about a chess program. Then people from wishlist would send a
request to people in task list. Wishlist would act as a translator between
end-user requests and developer tasks.

> The task list people look at the request a decide whether a new task
> should be added or if an existing task should be edited.
> Once done, task list people marks the request as closed.
>
> > To make things more concise, I propose a web site that holds an interface
> > for users who want to ask for programs or anything, and that sends the
> > information to the project GNU Task List. This should not be very
> > difficult.
>
> It seems even easier to use what already exists:
> http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?group=tasklist

No, because if my mom wants to ask for a cook recipes program, and wants to
see if anybody else also is interested on it, will probably find useless a
developers tasklist :-)

Our idea is an end-user web site, that later can be useful to developers. We
would be very happy if the gnu project finds it interesting, but we were
thinknig of something that would be separate from the task-list. Though it
would be very desirable that we take it into account, using it as a mean of
database.

Regards

Ignacio

--
May the source be with you               NO A LA GUERRA - NOT TO WAR
Ignacio García Fernández                       Instituto de Robótica