[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Free Software wish list - savannah

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Free Software wish list - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 12 May 2003 15:37:28 +0200

Ignacio García Fernández <address@hidden> said:

> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 08:15:25AM -0400, toby cabot wrote:
> > Ahoy Hugo (et al)!
> >
> > On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 07:22:59PM -0400, Hugo Gayosso wrote:
> > > I think it is a good idea, the GNU project has the "Task List" which
> > > is basically what you described:
> > >
> > > http://www.gnu.org/prep/tasks_toc.html
> >
> > I've almost finished the task of moving the items from the old task
> > list into Savannah's Help Wanted section.  The savannah hackers set me
> > up with a project called "tasklist" that serves as a container for
> > these help wanted entries.
> >
> > I like the idea of a public place to enter tasks, etc.  For the time
> > being I think it would be OK to have people contact me and I'll add
> > the items to Savannah.  If anyone would like to volunteer to help on a
> > long-term basis I can add them to the set of admins of the tasklist
> > project so they can add items themselves.
> >

> Actually, what we could try to do is to develop some kind of
> interface for users to the gnu and savannah task-list.
>
> I think that a task list in the way it is set in a common FS sproject is not
> "user friendly". It is done from the developer point of view, and it is
> difficult for an user to add or search anything.
>
> We were thinkng of something more like a place wher I can go, not as a
> developer, but as a chess player, and say that I don't have any free program
> to organize a chess tournament in my local club, and that I have to use
> swissperfect instead.
>

> This "user" info is stored, and in some way converted into a task or a help
> wanted item.

For this purpose, "support request" seems the most appropriate.

IHMO the task list should be managed only by the task list people,
which one check whether a request is appropriate, not duplicate etc.

A user open a request saying "Blah should be on task list".
The task list people look at the request a decide whether a new task
should be added or if an existing task should be edited.
Once done, task list people marks the request as closed.

> To make things more concise, I propose a web site that holds an interface
> for users who want to ask for programs or anything, and that sends the
> information to the project GNU Task List. This should not be very
> difficult.

It seems even easier to use what already exists:
http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?group=tasklist

Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org