Re: [Savannah-hackers] moving groff CVS & mailing lists to savannah

From: Elfyn McBratney
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:27:47 +0100

Hello Werner,

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 08:03:55AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> The last few years groff has been hosted at ffii.org.  Now there are
> new maintainers but they are restricting themselves to the current
> activities of FFII, namely to fight against software patents.  They
> asked me to move groff to savannah, so here I am.
>
> How shall I proceed?  IMHO the following tasks should be performed:
>
>   CVS:
>
>     . The complete groff CVS should be moved (including the attic
>       files).  It's probably easiest to create an account on ffii.org
>       for the savannah maintainers with proper access rights so that
>       they simply can do an `scp' command to get everything.

This is doable.

>     . Until the last few weeks there was a small script which produced
>       daily snapshots of the CVS archive, together with a diff file
>       relative to the last official release.  I assume that something
>       similar can be run under savannah also, right?

This might be possible.  (As Savannah is quite loaded, we would normally ask
project maintainers to do these sort of things on their own boxes.)  I'll
discuss this with the other Savannah hackers, and see if it's possible.

>   Mailing lists (this isn't as urgent as the CVS problem):
>
>     . The complete `groff' mailing list archive should be moved too,
>       but due to massive spam attacks the mbox files should be first
>       sent through a mailing filter to remove all spam.  With other
>       words, the HTML representation of the groff mailing list archive
>       should *not* be copied to savannah but regenerated from scratch.
>
>     . All mailing list members (from `groff' and `groff-commit') should
>       be moved.
>
>     . Finally, the forwarding from address@hidden to address@hidden
>       should be reversed.

All of this is also doable, but you would have to do the filtering of the
mbox yourself.

If you can get us access to a copy of the CVS respository, a list of
subscribers for each of your mailing lists and a copy of the mbox archives
for said lists, I can get this done.

> Have I missed something?  Please help.

I don't know. ;)

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney
beu on irc.freenode.net/savannah.[non]gnu.org

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
  29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4